A BRIEF HISTORY
For over 40 years, since i was 11 years old, i’ve been studying and performing music.
It started with a little 2-octave keyboard and me teaching myself how to play a melody with chords. From there, i joined middle-school band. Because we couldn’t afford to buy any instruments, i started out playing the drums and i’m really glad about that. Starting out on drums helped me develop a strong sense of rhythm that i still carry with me today.
Fast-forward to me teaching myself trumpet, clarinet, flute, oboe, French horn, saxophone, tuba, trombone, all the tuned percussion instruments, plus piano and organ. By my senior year of high shool, i was playing 1st trumpet in the “pep band”, 1st oboe in the wind ensemble, French horn in another band and accompanying two choirs on piano.
Very luckily (for me), my high-school band director had terrible migraines and so, i was sometimes asked to “substitute teach” my own classmates when he wasn’t able to come to school… because, at that point, everyone knew i was going to be a band director. So, by 16 years old, i was conducting a group of 75 musicians and loving it.
When i went to university, i was a conductor and an oboist and a pianist. Eventually, i felt the need to simplify. As much as oboe was my favorite instrument to play, i had to give it up. (i still may come back to it someday!) I knew i wanted to become either a conductor, composer AND/OR a pianist/accompanist. In the end, i accomplished all three, got a degree in music and earned a certification in piano pedagogy.
Today, in Paris, i teach piano, compose in Cubase and conduct. i’m passionate about both classical and broadway music.
That little kid with the 2-octave keyboard NEVER imagined he’d be teaching piano, performing, and conducting in Paris, France!
- 2019: Music Director & Pianist, Wizard of Oz + Wicked, American Children’s Theatre of Paris
- 2014: Assistant Conductor for 20th anniversary concert , Mélo’men Men’s Chorus
- 2006: Director of Music & Pianist; Fantasticks, Lex Ham Theatre
- 2005: Director of Music, Conductor, Arranger; Godspell, Starting Gate Productions
- 2005: Director of Music, Pianist, Conductor; Seussical: A Musical, Heritage Theatre Company
- 2004: Director of Music, Conductor, Arranger; Anything Goes, Heritage Theatre Company
- 2003: Director of Music & Conductor; Sweeney Todd, Bloomington Theatre Company
- 2002: Director of Music & Conductor/Pianist; Little Shop of Horrors, Heritage Theatre Company
- 2001: Director of Music, Pianist, Conductor; Into The Woods, Heritage Theatre Company
- 2001: Pianist; King & I, Phipps Center for the Performing Arts
- 1999: Director of Music & Pianist; Assassins, Chameleon Theatre Circle
- 1997: Director of Music & Chorus, Organist; Chapel of the Holy Rosary
- 1995: Director of Music & Conductor; The Mystery of Edwin Drood, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center
- 1995-1997: Substitute pianist/organist; Sacred Heart Church
- 1994: Rehearsal Choral Director & Timpanist; Messiah, Mid-Atlantic Chamber Orchestra
- 1993: Pianist; Little Mary Sunshine, Broadmoor Resort Hotel
- 1993-1994: Rehearsal accompanist; Colorado Springs Symphony Orchestra
- 1993-1994: Pianist; Soli Deo Gloria Choir
- 1991: Director of Music & Conductor; Pirates of Penzance, Rose Hulman Institute of Technology
- 1989-1991: Director of Music & Chorus, Pianist; Seelyville United Methodist Church
- 1986-present: Students ages 5 – 70. Various instruments—beginner through advanced—piano, organ, winds, brass & percussion